Sergey Baryshnikov, Rector of Admiral Makarov State University, tells IAA PortNews about the plans and concerns of the institution
The efforts on restoring military arts division at Admiral Makarov State University of Maritime and Inland Shipping undertaken by the interested parties for many years have finally worked out. Sergey Baryshnikov, Rector of the University, tells IAA PortNews about the plans and concerns of the University.
- Mr. Baryshnikov, what is the meaning of restoring military arts division at Admiral Makarov University?
- The decision to restore military arts division was made in late June at the meeting of RF Defence Ministry’s Board in Kaliningrad. At the meeting chaired by Defence Minister Sergey Shoigu I spoke about the necessity to restore military arts division at the University.
We have been striving toward that and we have succeeded. Now the institution will have closer cooperation with the sector enterprises and there will be no pause after graduation … .
First of all, it is thanks to Victor Olersky, Deputy Minister of Transport – Head of Rosmorrechflot, and Sergey Frank, President and CEO of PAO Sovcomflot, who carried out basic work with RF Defence Ministry. Nowm our task is to ensure compliance of the training with today’s requirements.
- What about employment of the graduates today?
- Our graduates have never had problems with employment. I would emphasize, that according to IMO average deficit of personnel in the industry is 10%. A lot of different vessels are under construction today. An icebreaking supply vessel Stepan Makarov intended for the Arctic has recently been put into operation as well as icebreaking LNG tanker Christophe de Margerie that will operate on the Northern Sea Route. There is a plan to have about 15 vessels of this type and personnel is required for them.
- Tell about the plans of the University.
- First of all we are to optimize the network of our branches. The decision was taken to make anchor centers at the branches located in the places where seafarers are in demand. Other branches will either join them or will be handed over to other institutions, or closed.
The primary task for the next year is to obtain accreditation. Accreditation is always an exam for an educational institution. I would note, that recent monitoring of higher education institutions confirmed efficiency of almost all our branches as well as the head organization.
Interviewed by Margarita Babkova.